Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty
ENDOSCOPIC SLEEVE GASTROPLASTY WEIGHT LOSS PROCEDURE
- Minimally invasive
Also known as an incisionless gastric sleeve or accordion procedure, Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG) is often a good option for people who are not candidates for other bariatric surgeries. Ideal patients are those with a body max index of 30 or more, and who have found that diet and exercise alone haven’t been effective in meeting weight loss goals. ESG reduces the size of the stomach so people feel full more quickly and eat less. When combined with healthy lifestyle changes this procedure results in significant weight loss.
WHAT IS ENDOSCOPIC SLEEVE GASTROPLASTY?
- Newer type of weight loss procedure.
- Reduces the size of the stomach using an endoscopic suturing device.
- The procedure is performed under general anesthesia in an outpatient surgical setting.
- An endoscope with a camera is inserted through the mouth and allows the physician to perform the procedure without an abdominal incision.
- Approximately 12 sutures are placed in the stomach to restrict the amount of calories the body absorbs.
- The procedure takes about 90 minutes to complete and most people return home the same day.
- The majority of ESG patients resume normal activities and enjoy light exercise within a day after having the procedure.
- Over a three week period, patients shift from a liquid diet to a semi-solid diet and finally to a regular healthy diet.
IS ENDOSCOPIC SLEEVE GASTROPLASTY RIGHT FOR YOU?
ESG is a great weight-loss option if you:
- Are not eligible for other bariatric services; or
- Have a body mass index above 30; and
- Are committed to making necessary changes to support a healthy lifestyle; and
- Are at least 18 years old.
PROVEN WEIGHT LOSS
Studies have shown that patients may lose more than 50% of excess body weight within a year after the ESG procedure, which can possibly lower your risk of series weight-related health problems, including:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart disease and stroke
- High blood pressure
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Sleep apnea
Our bariatric physicians are experts in the Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty procedure. They along with our team will provide the support and coaching you need to achieve success. Call us today and let us tell you more about how the ESG procedure is a safe and effective healthy weight loss option.